Lights, camera, action!

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Superman Returns

(the damn picture thing doesn't seem to be working. I'll keep trying. In the meantime, if you really want to see a poster, go here: http://www.times-online.com/content/articles/2006/07/05/news/04superman.jpg.)

Superman Returns (2006)
Directed by: Bryan Singer
Starring: Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, Kevin Spacey

You know, I don't think I've actually seen any of the other Superman movies/TV shows. Oh, except for Smallville. And I have seen Supergirl several times, but that doesn't count. I haven't seen any of the famous Christopher Reeve ones, you know? Still, having seen Smallville and both Spiderman movies, I kind of knew what to expect. I am pleased to say it exceeded my expectations.

OK, here's the plot: Superman returns to Earth (I'm not quite sure how, that part was slightly confusing. If anyone knows, please enlighten me) and returns to his old job at The Daily Planet, only to find Lois Lane still working there, but now with a fiance and five-year-old kid (who looks like he could well be related to Macaulay Culkin. But he's not). Meanwhile, Lex Luthor has discovered the crystal thingies in that big ice palace and has found out that they will create land mass, or shut off power, or something along those lines. I'm not quite sure about that part either. Why do I always find big action movies so confusing? Interesting indie movies I'm fine with. But big blockbusters? Can't understand them. Anyway, as I was saying, Lex decides to create a huge island off the east coast of America by using these crystals, and at the same time using Kryptonite so Superman can't do anything to stop him. That's basically the plot, difficult as it was to get into my tiny brain.

Anyhoo, firstly: the casting. How the hell did they find Brandon Routh? I mean he's perfect! He looks so much like Christopher Reeve, and is actually probably better looking. It's like he was born for the part. Like, he's really good-looking, but he's too squeaky clean to be a real heart-throb, you know? It's weird how 'bad boys' are found more attractive than super-good, dazzling-white-smile guys like this. Hmm. God, I keep getting really off-topic with this review, aren't I? Sorry. Back to the casting. I also really liked Kevin Spacey as Lex, but I have nothing special to say about him. Kate Bosworth was very good as Lois, I thought, although she seemed a bit young for the part. Also, she had one brown eye and one blue eye. Was that intentional? Did she wear contacts (or a contact, to be more precise)? Is this a characteristic of Lois Lane, that I have missed from not watching the other movies? Is it just something Kate Bosworth has? Are her eyes actually perfectly fine and I'm going colour blind? Who knows.

The kid was cute. Not amazing, but good enough. Also, looks strangely familiar. Oh well, could just be that Macaulay Culkin thing. Oh yeah, and just as a shameless plug, Frank Langella, who plays the Daily Planet editor, he narrated one of my dad's films. Hehe.

The effects were amazing. Or at least I thought so. Seeing as I'm not really an action movie type of gal and I don't usually watch movies crammed with effects (Harry Potter being an exception, I suppose), I'm probably not the best person to judge, but I thought they were brilliant. The acting and script were all fine, not incredible, but fine. Basically the best bits were the special effects and the casting of Mr Routh. Oh, and I really loved Lois's house. You'll have to see the movie to know what I mean.

Overall, Superman Returns is an enjoyable film. It won't change your life, but it's a really fun way to spend a couple of hours. Go see it. You know you want to.

By the way, and just because I'm fussy about these things, Clark grew up in Smallville, yes? In Kansas? And Smallville is fairly close to Metropolis, yes? I know this from watching Smallville, where it is most definitely set in Kansas and you can definitely drive between the two towns within a reasonably short space of time. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but Kansas is pretty much as far from the sea as you can get in America, yes? OK so WHY IS METROPOLIS BY THE SEA??? I don't get it. Please explain, someone. Please!

A-

Talliestar

Superman: [after saving Lois Lane and other members of the media from a plane crash] I hope this hasn't put you off of flying. Statistically speaking, it's still the safest way to travel.

2 Comments:

Blogger Livvie said...

You know, Kate Bosworth's eye's are just like that. Once, this advertising company tried to get thher to wear contact in their advert, and she cancelled her contract with them. So there.

5:39 AM  
Blogger talliestar said...

Well, good for her. How was the Lake District, by the way?

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home