Lights, camera, action!

Monday, August 28, 2006

Swimfan

Swimfan (2002)
Dir: John Polson
Starring: Jesse Bradford, Erika Christiansen, Shiri Appleby

Swimfan is the story of a teenager called Ben Cronin, a former bad boy who turned his life around and is now a star swimmer with excellent prospects, with good friends and a lovely, supportive girlfriend. However, when a new girl, Madison Belle, arrives in town and the two have one night stand, his life begins to go downhill as Madison becomes obsessive, creepy and downright psychotic. (I didn't just get that from IMDb, I made it up, believe it or not...)

I really liked this film. I really did. It's kind of like your normal high school movie, but it's a thriller, not a comedy. It's not scary, but it's exciting. The character of Madison is... well, evil. I hate her. Beware! Ben is a very nice guy, and even though he has sex with her (in a swimming pool, no less! Not to give anything away...) you still like him and hope for the best with him. That's the annoying thing about a movie like this. With a comedy, you know everything's going to turn out happy at the end, but with something like this you can't be sure. I was quite worried in case something happened to Ben or his girlfriend Amy.

Ben and Amy are really cute together and you really want them to stay with each other. Well I did anyway. Amy is played by Shiri Appleby, who I had never heard of but I've found out she was one of the lead in that teen drama thing Roswell. Anyone ever see that?

The cinematography is really interesting and the whole movie has a kind of bluish tint to it, which gives it a very distinct feel. The music is good, kind of creepy, as it should be.

Basically it is a really enjoyable teen thriller. It's nothing that incredible or original but I'd recommend it. There are some very good performances and an interesting plot (but beware of Madison! She is EVIL!!!), so I suggest you go and rent it. Go on... go on...

A-

Talliestar xxx

Ben: Scouts are coming next week.
Mr Tillman: Girl scouts?
Ben: No, swimming scouts, from Stanford

(Yeah, I know it's a crappy quote but it's not a comedy, OK? There aren't many witty lines.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home