Lights, camera, action!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Back To The Future

Back To The Future (1985) (I don't like having the title right under the actual title, as it looks a bit weird. Oh well, I can't think of any alternative.)
Dir: Robert Zemeckis
Starring: Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd

I think this may be a momentous occasion in LCA history. See why at the end of the review.

This film was lent to me by my lovely friend Livvie, who said I would like it. I had been meaning to see it, but in one of those "oh yeah, that looks kinda good, maybe I'll rent it one day when I remember and can be bothered" kind of ways. Anyway, I'm glad she lent it to me because 1) it meant I didn't have to remember/be bothered to rent it, and 2) because it gave me something to watch while babysitting last night.

Back To The Future is about a teenager called Marty McFly (is that where the band McFly got their name from? Because that would be kinda cool.) who has a friend ('Doc') who is a mad scientist type, very eccentric and very funny, who invents a car that can travel through time. Marty, while trying to get away from Libyan terrorists, accidentally travels back to 1955, when his parents were his age. He (also accidentally) stops them from meeting, therefore endangering his whole existence. Can Marty make his parents fall in love, and also find a way to send him back to the future?

God, I love 80s family movies. I can't actually think of any other examples, but never mind. I love them anyway. Although I must say, the haircuts and clothes were REALLY bad back then. Perms and leggings... urgh. Anyway, I loved this movie. Even though I'm not a sci-fi type of gal, I love movies about time travel. I just have a kind of fascination with it. So I really enjoyed this. Michael J. Fox is nice and sweet and fresh-faced as Marty, and is really rather funny. Christopher LLoyd is wonderful as Doc, he's absolutely perfect. Lea Thompson and Crispin Glover (hehe! Thin Man from Charlie's Angels!) are very good as the parents.

There's not much I can say about this. I loved the whole story with all it's little twists and jokes, and it's all nice and happy without being preachy or too morally aware. Anyway, if you haven't seen it, see it. I think it's possibly one of the best family movies ever. Now I've just got to watch the sequels...

A+
(Oh yes, ladies and gentlemen! LCA's very first A+!!!)

Talliestar

Dr Emmett Brown: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

First off, I have to say I love your blog and your reviews! I look forward to reading them every time something new is posted!

Second... Back to the Future, what a great flick. It was my staple 'at home sick' movie. Just put it in, watch, rewind, watch, repeat. I must have seen it over 20 times like that. Great review, really captures the film.

10:24 AM  
Blogger talliestar said...

Hi Shannon, welcome to the blog! I'm glad you like the reviews. I really like your blog too, it's nice to find someone else with a film-y blog!

2:27 AM  
Blogger Livvie said...

Tal! Reviews of films we watched, if you please!

9:46 AM  
Blogger talliestar said...

Meh. Fine, when I have time.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home