Lights, camera, action!

Friday, September 22, 2006

Election














(YES! The pictures are working again! Anyway, this is going to be a very short review - an Express Review, if you like - because I saw it two weeks ago and can't remember it as well as I'd like. )

Election (1999)
Dir: Alexander Payne
Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Matthew Broderick

Election is a dark, satirical drama/comedy about one high school student's determination to become student body president and the teacher who has to stop her going too far.

This movie is a quirky, offbeat look at high school politics (actually just politics in general). This is not your typical high school comedy. No siree. For one, the content is a lot more adult. Also, it has a extremely indie-ish feel about it. Actually, I think it is an indie, so that would make sense. The humour is extremely dark, and the whole film has a slightly abstract, unconventional feel to it.

OK, I hear you say, but is it any good? To be honest, it didn't click with me that much. I think there were some bits that were pretty unnecessary, although the overall movie raises some very interesting issues. Reese Witherspoon's performance was amzing, as always, and Matthew Broderick was excellent too.

Overall, it was OK. Good if you're looking for something a bit different, but I'm not in a hurry to see it again.

B-

Talliestar xxx

Tammy Metzler: [narrating] Being suspended is like getting a paid vacation. Why do they think it's a punishment? It's like your dog pees on the carpet and you give him a treat. Then you get in trouble for skipping school, it's so stupid! Hendricks told me, "One more time" and I'd be expelled. Sounded good to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home