Lights, camera, action!

Friday, September 22, 2006

Moulin Rouge!













Moulin Rouge! (2001)
Dir: Baz Luhrmann
Starring: Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor

I had wanted to see this movie for a long time. Everyone raves about it, and it's a musical, so I thought it would be worth watching.

The first thing that springs to mind about Moulin Rouge! is the design. Catherine Martin, the designer, should have won an Oscar for it. Actually, I've just looked it up, and she did. One for Set Design and one for Costume Design. Well, they were well deserved. If you haven't seen it, the poster above gives you some idea about the style of the film. It is a dazzling swirl of colour and texture in the style of Victorian burlesque.

The whole film is slightly odd. Not in a bad way, but you can't take it all literally and seriously. I mean, it includes a narcoleptic Argentinian (that's the name of his character!) and an opera-singing moon. This is not Citizen Kane. But who says that a film has to be serious to be good? I certainly don't. Amidst all the madness and frivolity (and there is a lot of it) there is a damn good story and some damn good songs, given by some damn good performers. Who knew Nicole Kidman could sing? She and Ewan McGregor are perfectly cast in their respective roles and are believable enough to make the ending truly tragic.

So basically, see it, if you haven't already. Although I think I'm probably the only person who hadn't seen it by this time. I think some people may hate it, but the rest of the world loves it. And rightly so.

A

Talliestar xxx

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Great review Talliestar!!!

I love love LOVE Moulin Rouge, this is making me want to watch it. I used to listen to the soundtrack on my walkman and it would bring me to tears on the streetcar.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and finally got to see it!!

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home